Porcelain fused to metal, or PFM restorations have been a standard in restorative dentistry for more than three decades. During that time, dentists around the world have adopted PFM crowns and bridges due to the versatility for use, as well as their ability to be matched to surrounding teeth. PFM crowns provide an excellent balance between resilience and esthetics. The underlying metal portion of the restorations provides long-lasting durability while the porcelain outer layer delivers a natural-looking appearance.
Did you know…
Dental crowns may be necessary for a number of reasons. They include:
- To restore the remaining tooth structure following a root canal
- To protect a tooth that is broken or damaged.
- To restore a decayed tooth with too much damage to support a new filling
- To anchor a dental bridge
- To disguise tooth discoloration that has not responded to whitening treatments